Friday, December 09, 2005

The pseudo-nerds attempt at techno-salve

Computers. I'm seriously beginning to hate them. I spend far too much of my time using them and they give me nothing of value in return. Don't get me wrong, I'm not totally against them, I just want the one I'm using to be less of the hassle that it is. To be honest, I can't wait to get a laptop, then I can forget about my PC for a while and let it dwell on its lonliness for a while. Yes, my computer is a sentient being, I swear it! Of course, this will mean that my computer issues will transfer to a new medium, so I won't be able to escape them all that easily.

So why do computers have to be so much hassle? Why are there people out there hell bent on destroying everyone's desktop machine for a few measley moments of laughter and mirth? The amount of time I've spent 'protecting' my computer from virus and hacker attacks is incredible. When I'm not casually browsing for information, I'm updating all of my virus and spyware applications so that my computer doesn't implode from random external unwanted attention! And despite this attention to detail towards my computers protection and survival I STILL get some little bugger who thinks he's clever because he's slipped in through the back door during a nano second of downtime.

Recently I was having issues with pop ups telling me there was some problem with my registry (something I knew to be untrue) and could think of no other way to stop these annoying buggers from intruding on my life than to reformat and rebuild the hard drive from scratch. I also thought "Why not finally get around to installing that Ubuntu Linux software while I'm at it". Oh. Dear. I was under the false impression that this would make my life easier and more carefree than usual. I've never had issues with reformatting before, things should be 'peachy'. Everything appeared to be going okay with the whole project (except that windows didn't understand the concept of 'repartitioning', thankfully Linux did), the new partitions were in place and Ubuntu installed perfectly! Time for Windoze.

Hands up those of you who have ever had a problem with Microsoft's 'pioneer' operating system...I suspect there will be a very large number of hands in the air right now. Having only ever used this one OS, I've encountered many a problem with it's ability to do anything. So, I was not at all surprised (but incredibly frustrated) to find out that it had completely wiped over the boot loader for Ubuntu, so that I no longer received the 'dual boot' option at start up. "That's fine," I thought. "I'll just reinstall Ubuntu and fix it all up"

Now I'm beginning to think all software companies are out to get me. Ubuntu cannot recognise it's existence on the hard drive, and (with the help of it's arch nemesis Windoze) has wiped out our F: partition. Meaning the loss of nearly 40gigabytes of information and programs. Including backups of our recordings! Here's hoping we can salvage the situation and get things back into working order.

Can you see now why I'm beginning to hate computers?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home