Saturday, November 19, 2005

Time for a Festive Feast

So Christmas has snuck up behind us yet again this year, and despite the fact that it hasn't changed since last year and I'm not at all interested in it, I thought I'd let you in on a little bit of what I've been doing to 'celebrate' it.

I've decided to gather a few friends together for a lovely Christmas themed buffet. The object of the buffet is for each guest to bring a plate of food with a festive theme (or something you would consider to be a 'once a year' dish), so that all who attend have a nice array of foods to choose from.

Now, I'm not really the kind of person who goes out of her way to celebrate events anymore. I barely even register my birthday these days (but it doesn't stop me from informing everyone of it's impending arrival). So for me to throw a Christmas themed luncheon is really quite out of character, which is why I've chosen to go for the 'bring a dish' variety.

There are many ways to look at the 'bring a dish' lunch/dinner party, and you'd be absolutely right with all of your varying thoughts. It is a big deal to prepare a buffet of food for up to 20 people on your own tight food budget, and it is also difficult to be able to efficiently cater for various diets with said budget. So, by asking people to bring a plate of food not only helps to fill the buffet table, it also allows the guest to provide for their own diet should someone else not. It is also a fabulous way to get a wonderful selection of exotic dishes to nibble at as you please, and I'm always a fan of sampling other peoples cooking.

However, saying that, I've also planned to supply a lovely compliation of foods to add to the buffet. It's only fair that I do, as I'm the one throwing the party!

Now, seeing as I live in Australia, and the weather at this time of the year is hotting at a rapid rate, I've chosen to make some yummy summer salads. Here's a list:
  • Potato Salad - Potato (main ingredient), egg, spring onion, dressing.
  • Coleslaw - Red and white cabbage, carrot, dressing.
  • Pasta Salad - Tri-colour pasta, corn, capsicum, celery, carrot, cucumber, mushroom mayonnaise
  • Greek Salad - Lettuce, tomato, fetta cheese, olive oil, balsamic vinegar dressing
Are you hungry yet? Well, there's one more thing I need to add to the list, and that's the spicy chicken wings. Then you have a complete smorgasboard of goodies to feast upon, and there is yet much more to come!

This is just one way in which you can celebrate the festive season, and I'm sure there are plenty of ideas floating thorugh your head already for ways to make this year's Christmas a gourmet smash. I know I'm already planning what I'm going to do for Easter....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home